You will need:
– 2 raffia placemats
– 2 metres of jute band
– a needle and thread
– an iron
– a sewing machine
– a popper
Here’s how to make your own summery bag:
1. Pin the ends of the jute band together and sew these in place. Make sure the pin is underneath.
2. Pin a placemat to both side edges of the jute band; these will be the sides of your bag. Sew these in place.
3. To make the handle, fold the jute band inwards on both sides so that it’s slightly narrower. Iron the folded-over band flat.
4. Now sew the band in place in the middle using a zigzag stitch. I thought it would be fun to use a brightly coloured thread that would stand out.
5. Finally, you can add a popper, so that your bag also has a fastening.
Read more in Daphne’s Diary 05-2019.