Today I felt like making something delicious, and something that is simply delicious anytime, anywhere is apple pie. So I hurried down to the market to buy apples and got to work…
– 300 g flour
– 200 g unsalted butter
– 150 g sugar
– 2 eggs
– Pinch of salt
– 1 kilo firm apples
– 500 g rhubarb
– 50 g sugar
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Mix the flour with the sugar and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Mix in the butter. Beat 1 egg and stir this into the mixture too. Knead into a smooth dough.
3. Make a ball out of the pastry dough and wrap it in cling film. Let it rest for half an hour.
4. Peel, core and slice the apples. Cut the rhubarb into small chunks. Mix the apple slices and chunks of rhubarb in a bowl with cinnamon and sugar. Grease a springform tin with butter.
5. Roll the pastry out onto a floured work surface. Line the springform tin with two thirds of the dough. Spoon the apple and rhubarb mixture over the base.
6. Cut strips off the rest of the pastry and place them crosswise over the apple-rhubarb mixture. Brush the strips with the other beaten egg.
7. Bake the apple pie in the oven for 45 minutes.